PlayWorks Therapy offers initial evaluations and ongoing treatment for children birth to twelve years of age with cognitive delays and behavioral or social-emotional concerns. Our clinicians hold Master’s degrees in the fields of Child Development, Early Childhood Education, or Social Work and their Early Intervention credential.
Through our collaborative therapy process, our therapists work closely with parents and caregivers to develop the most effective therapeutic plan to support your child’s personalized cognitive, social-emotional, and behavioral goals. Individual therapy sessions are play-based and combine aspects of child-directed and adult-directed therapy models. Therapy sessions occur in our clinic, at preschool or elementary school, at daycare, or in your home.
Our therapists have experience and knowledge treating a variety of delays and disorders including children experiencing:
- Play skill deficits
- Preschool readiness challenges
- Cognitive delays
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Down syndrome
- Genetic or neurological disorders
- Sensory processing challenges
- Delays of prematurity
- Social skill deficits
- Behavioral challenges
- Learning differences
How do I know if my child needs a developmental therapy evaluation?
Your child may need a developmental therapy evaluation if:
- They have a decreased attention to tasks, books, puzzles, and/or other age-appropriate play materials
- They have a decreased attention or decreased interest in adults and peers in their environment
- They are not yet imitating gestures or play ideas
- They have difficulty following directions or tolerating adult-direction
- They have difficulty accepting another’s play idea
- They have difficulty transitioning between activities throughout the day
- They have difficulty following along with group routines
- They have a decreased frustration tolerance, give up on activities easily, and/or are not yet attempting to problem solve independently or using an adult as a resource
- They have several tantrums per day and/or the tantrums last for several minutes
Our team of Developmental Therapists includes:
Amy Wechsler, MSW, LCSW, DT, Founder and Clinical Director
Kimberly Shlaes, MAT, DT, Director of Developmental Therapy Services
Brittany Hill, MS, MSW, LCSW, DT, Director of Social Work Services
Kelly Scafidi, MSW, LCSW, DT
Rachel Weiser, MS, DT
Becky Clark, MS, DT
Click on the therapist’s name above to learn more about their professional background, experience, and personal info.
If you are interested in learning more about our developmental therapy services or to set up your first appointment, please contact us at (773) 332-9439 or fill out our contact us form.