PlayWorks Therapy offers therapeutic feeding services for children birth to twelve years of age with sensory and oral-motor challenges to promote successful eaters and productive mealtimes. Feeding therapy is offered by both speech-language pathologists and occupational therapists. We offer feeding therapy in both one-on-one and group settings.
Our therapists hold Master’s degrees, national memberships (AOTA or ASHA), a State of Illinois professional license, and Early Intervention Credentials.
Our feeding therapy group, Food Explorers!, uses the Sequential Oral Sensory (SOS) Approach to Feeding to encourage interaction with and acceptance of new foods. Using play-based feeding methods, this group focuses on food exploration through sensory play to increase your child's food repertoire. Participants will become comfortable with new foods at their own pace, using gentle models to increase interaction with each food.
Through our collaborative process, our therapists work closely with parents and caregivers to develop the most effective therapeutic plan to support your child’s personalized goals. Therapy sessions are play-based and combine aspects of child-directed and adult-directed therapy models.
How do I know if my child needs a feeding therapy evaluation?
A feeding therapy evaluation may be beneficial if your child:
- Demonstrates aversions to specific food groups, textures, or temperatures
- Tolerates less than 15 foods
- Gags, chokes, or vomits during mealtimes
- Ongoing poor weight gain or weight loss
- History of nasal or gastric reflux
- History of a traumatic choking incident
- Difficulty transitioning to age-appropriate foods (bottle to purees, purees to solids)
- An infant who cries and/or arches at most meals
If you are interested in learning more about our feeding therapy services or to set up your first appointment, please contact us at (773) 332-9439 or fill out our contact us form.